Blues miss out on signing Pollard
David Gilbert, chief executive of New South Wales has said the Twenty20 Champions League winners are more determined then ever to sign an overseas player after missing out on the services of big hitting Kieron Pollard.
Pollard, who smashed an unbeaten 54 from just 18 balls for Trinidad and Tobago in their group stage victory over the Blues in the Champions League earlier this month was signed by the South Australia Redbacks late on Wednesday night.
Pollard will take part in the KFC Big Bash, Australia's annual Twenty20 domestic series which takes place in December and January.
Despite winning the Twenty20 Champions League in India and earning $2.5 million dollars missing out on the chance to sign Pollard is a blow for the Blues who are looking to replace Brett Lee who will playing for Australia. Gilbert felt the Blues had done enough to get the big hitting all-rounder.
"Until you have a signature on the dotted line, you can't take anything for granted," Gilbert told the AAP on Thursday. "After what he did to us in that lead-up match, he was always going to be on the radar of the other states."
"We had no God-given right that he was going to play for us. He liked the way we played the game and he liked our guys. His management company I understand is based in Adelaide so they were probably in a very good position to wave him under South Australia's nose."
"We're disappointed about Pollard but we're certainly not going to slit our wrists. We will get an import because unfortunately for example Brett Lee will not play for us in the Big Bash unless he's not involved in the Australian side."
"So if we're able to strengthen our side with a quality overseas player, it enhances our chances of qualifying for the Champions League again. We want to be a part of that, having won it and tasted it, we want more."