cricket20 :: Redbacks victory seals Big Bash final spot
KFC Big Bash League News
Redbacks victory seals Big Bash final spot

The West End Redbacks held on to win a thriller at the Adelaide Oval to beat the Tasmanian Tigers by 23 runs to seal a place in the KFC Big Bash final and claim a spot in the Twenty20 Champions League.

The victory for the Redbacks will see this years KFC Big Bash final played at the Adelaide Oval after the home sealed top spot in the Big Bash group table.

In front of over 14,000 fans the Redbacks and Tigers played out a thrilling game which saw 8 wickets fall in just 13 balls.

After a Redbacks collapse which saw them lose their last 6 wickets in just 11 balls the Tigers only needed 132 for victory but Shaun Tait picked up two wickets from the first two balls of the innings to leave the visitors 0-2.

Tim Paine (0) was caught by Aaron O'Brien at fine leg before Michael Dighton (0) could only top edge a Tait bouncer through to wicket keeper Graham Manou off the next ball.

Rhett Lockyear (15) and George Bailey (16) started the recovery for the Tigers but when spinners Shahid Afridi and O'Brien started to bowl the runs dried up as the Tigers added only 25 runs from 5 overs of spin.

The slow down in runs meant the Tigers had to start to attack the bowlers and that saw the wickets starting to fall again as O'Brien claimed 3 wickets to leave the Tigers 66-6 and on the ropes.

The Tigers were unable to mount any sort of recovery and despite Brett Geeves two huge sixes of the bowling on Tait the Redbacks where home and dry.

The home crowd could now sense victory and a home game in the Big Bash final.

Earlier, a Naved-ul-Hasan hat trick stunned the Redbacks into a dramatic collapse which turned the course of the game and put the Tigers on top at the Adelaide Oval.

The Redbacks went into the 16th over well placed at 127-4 but Naved struck to start a collapse which saw the Redbacks lose their last 6 wickets in the space of 11 balls for just 4 runs to leave the Tigers a total of 132 for victory.

Graham Manou won the toss for the West End Redbacks and he decided to bat first looking to set a high total to put the Tigers under pressure.

The Redbacks got off to a good start with Manou hitting a quick fire 33 from just 16 balls before he was brilliant run out by George Bailey leaving the home side 46-1 after 4.1 overs.

Amazingly Daniel Harris (16) become the second person to be run out in the innings thanks to a direct hit from John Rogers at a time when the Redbacks had looked in complete control with the Tigers bowlers unable to find a way through.

Tom Cooper (12) and Shahid Afridi (1) soon followed Harris back into the pavilion before Mark Cosgrove and Kieron Pollard rescued the Redbacks with a stand of 43.

With 4 overs to go and 6 wickets in hand the Redbacks would have been happy with their position looking to set the Tigers a score of over 150 for the victory.

Amazingly, 11 balls later their innings was over.

Naved-ul-Hasan struck to remove Pollard who was caught by Rhett Lockyear on the boundary. Cameron Borgas was next to go LBW before Daniel Christian was bowled first ball to give the Tigers their second hat trick in a row in this years KFC Big Bash.

The packed crowd was stunned even further when Cosgrove was run out off the next ball to leave the Redbacks 127-8 and in deep trouble.

The Tigers weren't finished yet as James Faulkner claimed the final two wickets in the next over to leave the Redbacks all out for just 131 having collapse in spectacular fashion in just 11 balls.

t20, Twenty20 and Twenty20 Cup are registered trade marks of the England and Wales Cricket Board Limited (the “ECB”).
Products and services on this website are not offered in connection with, or with the endorsement of the ECB