Warm Up Games |
Fixtures | Super Eights | Group Stages | Statistics | Squads | Venues
Lord's has long been seen as the 'Home of Cricket' and the game's spiritual 'headquarters'. But its importance is not merely historical. In practice it remains, to this day, perhaps the most important single place in world cricket.
Lord's today is not on its original site, being the third of three grounds that Thomas Lord established between 1787 and 1814. His first ground, now referred to as Lord's Old Ground, was where Dorset Square now stands. His second ground, Lord's Middle Ground, was used from 1811 to 1813 before being abandoned due to the construction through its outfield of the Regent's Canal. The present Lord's ground is about 250 yards north-west of the Middle Ground.
It is also the setting for the state-of-the-art MCC Indoor Cricket School, the unrivalled MCC Library and the world-famous MCC Museum - where exhibits include the Wisden Trophy and, of course, the Ashes urn.
The Brit Oval
The Brit Insurance Oval, still commonly referred to by its original name of The Oval, is an international cricket ground in Kennington, London. In the past it was also sometimes called the 'Kennington Oval'. In recent years it has been officially titled as the 'Fosters Oval', 'AMP Oval,' and, currently, as the 'Brit Insurance Oval' (or 'Brit Oval') due to various commercial sponsorship deals.
It is located in the London Borough of Lambeth. It is the home ground of Surrey County Cricket Club, and also traditionally hosts the final Test match of each English summer in late August or early September. The Oval was the first ground in Britain and second in the world (after the MCG) to host Test cricket.
The ground has seen a lot of redevelopment in recent years. At the end of the 2002 cricket season, Surrey started redeveloping the Vauxhall End. The development included knocking down the outdated Surridge, Fender, Jardine and Peter May north stands, and creating in their place a single four tier grandstand known as the OCS Stand. This work was completed in May 2005, increasing ground capacity to around 23,000.
Trent Bridge, the home of Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club, is a world famous cricketing landmark. Recognised as one of the finest cricket venues across the globe, it has acted as host for county and Test cricket since 1838 and is the world's third oldest Test ground.
The founder, William Clarke saw the potential of a quaint little meadow at the back of the Trent Bridge Inn in 1838. He married the landlady, Mary Chapman, and within a year was hosting matches on a newly created, fenced off ground alongside the pub. Considered by many players and spectators to be one of the most pleasant in ngland, the architecture of the ground has been kept within the parameters set by the 1886 pavilion.
Trent Bridge held its first international cricket match in 1899 between England and Australia. The match was held from June 1-3 and finished as a draw.
The ground then had the honour of hosting the first match of the first five-match Test series in England. W.G. Grace, playing his last Test, was 50yrs 320 days old when the match ended; only Wilfred Rhodes played Test cricket at a greater age, and he made his debut in the same game.
Trent Bridge has developed steadily ever since, and has seen many of the cricketing greats leave their mark on history. It can now host 15,000 people on a match day and is regularly sold out for Test and One-day Internationals, as well as offering many other facilities to visitors and guests from around Nottingham and further afield.