Text Edition
Top Stories

Hawks on course after easy win

Hampshire enhanced their bid for a place in the Twenty20 quarter-finals with a six-wicket win over Surrey.

Scott Newman rode his luck in a defiant 52 but Surrey lost five wickets for 19 in 23 balls and only mustered 147-7.

In reply Michael Lumb hit some brutal strokes in a rapid opening stand of 80 with evergreen Ian Harvey (34).

Lumb smashed seven fours and two sixes in his 63 off 45 deliveries, as Hants won with 11 balls left to move into the second automatic qualification place.

Hants were able to call upon the talents of Dimitri Mascarenhas and Chris Tremlett, who were both given permission by England to play before returning to train with the squad ahead of Wednesday's fourth one-day international with New Zealand.

Surrey, unable to qualify and without several established players, had advanced to 43-0 from the first six overs but Mascarenhas came into the attack and struck in his opening over, Ali Brown, who had top-edged a six in the second over, well caught at long-off.

Skipper Mark Ramprakash top-edged an Ian Harvey delivery into his helmet, but was soon playing the paddle sweep again to better effect.

He also launched Mascarenhas into the leg-side for a six and four in an over, but was caught on the square-leg boundary for 19 in the 12th over.

Usman Afzaal got a leading edge to a slower ball to make it 109-3 in the 15th over and wickets then began to fall.

In the next over Newman recorded his third 20-over fifty but immediately afterwards was bowled by a slower ball, and the important wicket of dangerman Abdul Razzaq was taken in the next, a full toss swung to deep mid-wicket where Michael Carberry leapt to take a stunning one-handed catch.

Lumb played like Matthew Hayden in full flow in Hampshire's reply, stepping down the wicket and hitting the ball powerfully through the leg-side.

He whacked one from Jade Dernbach over mid-wicket for six and drove the next straight down the ground for four as 27 were rattled up in the first two overs.

Surrey's problems continued when a no-ball was called for the incorrect number of fielders in the circle, Ramprakash launching a curious tirade at umpire Peter Hartley, as if it was somehow up to the official to position the fielders.

Harvey played some typically adventurous shots before driving a rapid return catch that Matthew Spriegel snaffled smartly by his boots.

Lumb's impressive innings ended when he edged a short one behind on 63, the highest by a Hampshire player in Twenty20 action this term, leaving 30 left to be scored from 35 balls.

Dernbach, after an opening over that cost 21, returned to send Michael Brown's off-stump spiralling out of the ground.

After Sean Ervine was caught, Carberry was dropped by reserve keeper Gary Wilson but finished the match with a sliced cut.

"It was a bad day for us but we've had a few in this competition," Ramprakash lamented. "We got off to a good start but perhaps there was some inexperience and we fell away and there was not enough for us to defend."

source -
Text Edition Home
Cricket | Champions League Cricket | IPL | ICL | Twenty20 World Cup